Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Identité nationale

Lately, there is in France a big debate like only French can start. The debate about l’identité nationale, the national identity. Well, if you know what it means, feel free to share. To launch such a debate in a country like France can become way too very dangerous following your place you found in the society. I would not participate to such a thing. I don’t think It is a big matter to have a national identity. You are born with a nationality but do you recognize yourself in your country or with the people living in there ? I am what you might call an expatriate. I made it by choice because I could not stay 1) because I found a job outside 2) I made my life outside 3) I found my place in the world outside my country, not that I am rejecting it. I am ashamed that a French president once said “France, you love it or you leave it”. It’s not because I live outside my country that I am not French anymore, on the contrary. I am proud to be a French citizen (probably because It means having a History and to respect it, and because I think I give a good image of my country) but … outside France. France has still an aura abroad that It does not have in Its own place. Strangely, when I was looking for a job in France, I didn’t find any. Was it a sign ? or was I less French because I had experiences outside ? I think the idea of national identity is wrong because It has no purpose anymore. Europe is on now and frontiers do not exist anymore (but some politics seem to have forget it). A friend of mine, leaving nearby with me in Berlin is French, her husband is half German and Finish and their kid is born in Australia. I let you guess his nationality. How would you explain to this kid the sense of national identity ? Europe offers a unique free circulation and as a European, I can work wherever I wish inside the union (forget about exceptions please). We are already a lot who work abroad and come back home for our holidays, but when I say home, I speak about the native one, you understood, not the one I built for myself. This number is compensated in France by a number of other citizens from any country who established themselves in my country. I think today you can feel yourself more European, so when will they create a European passport ? probably because everyone has a love feeling with the passport of his own country. I guess this idea of national identity belongs to people who do not like Europe but It is too late. I agree Europe builds itself very slowly but the machine is running and It tried to erase differences to accept community. I don’t pay taxes in France since almost 10 years now but I keep on voting and this is for me a great thing. But I agree with the fact that I don’t have much to do with French politics anymore. I would accept to vote in Germany but I am not allowed. This is a good paradox to explain. But for my defense, I would say I am a good example of what It is called here “Deutsch-Französische Freundschaft” (German-French friendship) : my man is German and we cook together very good meals inspired from both our cultures.

No comments: