Friday, March 2, 2012

Gemeinsam or Zusammen ?

Sometimes I find German language a bit too much in the details to let me understand it and speak it the way I should. It is not that important because German sometimes themselves can't explain a word, an expression or when to use a preterit, present or future. I give you an example that just happened this afternoon. In front of the 2 elevators, you'll find a button to select the one you need. To go faster where you need to go (for me the exit, It's week-end now), you push one or two. Someone stands next to me, I press one, he presses the other one. So I said "well done, we did it zusammen" (together in German). Once in the (same) elevator, he said to me : "we did it gemeinsam" (together in German). Then I aked him where is the difference ? Well Ladies and Gentlemen, you need to know that German language makes a difference between :
1) the fact that we are together but only one can make an action (press the button to call the elevator). The other one does nothing but is with me. this is zusammen
2) the fact that one can press the button but the other one can also press the button, so in this case you have to use : gemeinsam.
I guess in your language as in mine you use one word : together. 
Why make it simple when you can make it complicated ? It just sometimes only a detail point of view.

No comments: