Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Hunger

I always liked The Hunger, from the first time I saw it at the theatre in 1983 and It has a space on my preferred list of movies I easily see. What amazes me is that I learned lately It is a cult movie ! I never thought about it because outside of the wonderful cast, It is not a very good one but I guess It leaves a nice trace of what the stylish 80's were. It is the story of a bizarre love triangle between a doctor (Susan Sarandon) who specializes in sleep and aging research, and a stylish vampire couple (Catherine Deneuve and David Bowie). The film is a loose adaptation of the 1981 novel of the same name by Whitley Strieber, with a screenplay by Ivan Davis and Michael Thomas. The Hunger was director Tony Scott's first feature film. The Hunger was not particularly well-received on its release, and was attacked by many critics for being heavy on atmosphere and visuals but slow on pace and plot. Roger Ebert, for example described it as "an agonizingly bad vampire movie". However, the film soon found a cult following that responded to its dark, glamorous atmosphere. The Bauhaus song Bela Lugosi's dead plays over the introductory credits and beginning (I love it, you want to be there). The film is popular with some segments of the goth subculture, and spawned the short-lived TV anthology series of the same name. By the way, the parties last night were fabulous.

No comments: