Sunday, April 19, 2009

Armida

"That lovers have to overcome horrible obstacles in the opera and that the power of love prevails against all reason sounds familiar to us. But what happens, when the heart's enemy consists of the own fear, the fear to lose control and the fear of one's own abysms? Beautiful Armida, blessed with infernal magic powers, has immobilised the armada of the enemy crusaders. Only Rinaldo, the keenest Christian hero has resisted. Torn between fascination and fury, Armida vows vengeance. However, when she finally captures Rinaldo, she cannot kill him. Blinded by shame for her own weakness, she calls her demons to send Rinaldo to »the end of the world«. Armida appeals deeply that hate, liberates her from her love but finally she has to surrender to the strange feelings. After a short period of common happiness the curse of hate comes true: Rinaldo, gripped by ambition, leaves Armida to devote himself again to typically male duties". Gluck presents love as a feeling between self-abandonment and self-fulfilment, embedded in a psychological drama. "I admit that I would love to finish my career with this opera", wrote Gluck. I was invited at the Première (happy me) at the Komische Oper but frankly said, I never been a fan of the composer and I confirm my choice. Though I admit the singers are good, I didn’t like the scenery, the naked men (beautiful ones but nothing to do in the opera except attracting voyeurs), the constant change of decoration sets, and non-senses during the play. Though the people of Berlin likes very much those alternative interpretation, I truly think the choreographer has to do something agains his sexual traumas instead of bringing them in public. It’s not that I am against some provocation but if there is too much, you just don’t pay attention anymore to the opera, you get confused, you’re not interested anymore, you want to leave as quick as you can because you have something better to do, like having a drink round the corner. Just to be nice, I guess, most of the conservative part of the public applauded while another part booed. But they all met at the bar to eat the free butter pretzel (I was there too !) and (I’ve been told later) dance all night emptying the bar.

No comments: