Saturday, August 27, 2011

Amsterdam

Because I traveled so much and worked abroad for years, I am lucky enough to have friends in other countries. They are few but important in my life, even if It is only via a message on my facebook’s profile. At least it’s either sincere or funny. Of course, the bad point with the friendship is that we don’t meet often: the everyday’s issues, the work, the life by itself, the comfort of staying (finally) home, make that I didn’t go to Amsterdam meeting my friend who live there with his wife. Actually, even if we are often in contact, we didn’t meet since we worked together in Barcelona. Funny how years go without noticing: 4 years gone but we knew when we’ll meet again, It will be as if we had a drink together the day before. And It happened as thought. I arrived at Schipol airport (one of the biggest I know with Hong Kong) Friday evening on time, went home and went directly for dinner. One thing I was very surprised with is that we must have dinner early in the city otherwise It is difficult to get any, in a nice restaurant I mean. Of course, you will always find something but if you wish to go in the nice city centre to enjoy a meal, with the good energy of a Friday evening and people enjoying good company, be ready to start at the latest 7:00 p.m. The restaurant my friend chose is perfectly the type I like. It’s called De Reiger. Wood bar, small and crowdie, good vibes, smells of good food, people smiling, you sit at he bar and order the first glass of wine. I was surprised we didn’t order the bottle but the explanation is very simple: The price of the bottle is always more expensive than ordering a glass after another. And my friend explained to me that the more glasses you order, the fullest the glass is. And it’s true: we had 3 during the meal and the latest one was the fullest. In most restaurants of city center, you will notice a cat comfortably sat on a chair, not even disturbed by the customers and don’t it’s there to give a house warmly touch at the place. The cat in Amsterdam, in public places, has a job: he hunts the mice and rats. And even with the cat indoors, don’t scream when you see a mouse. Just call the cat. Anyway, It was not very late after dinner to go to a wine bar we had noticed on the way in but unfortunately already closed. Because all bars are closed before 2:00 a.m. Carrying on walking we heard some noise on the street on our left and always curious, headed there : big surprise : 2 bars facing one another, nobody inside and everyone outside making the junction between the two bars. We did as all did, meaning going from one to the other to order drinks. I like this way of enjoying. I find the Dutch people sometimes difficult at work, because most of the time, they will only think for themselves, but in private, I find them very nice and friendly. But we made a big mistake and mix white wine and red and even my friend in the end took a bier and it was fatal. We took a taxi and I remember the driver asking me to leave the glass outside as I am not authorized to dink in the vehicle (!) and from there I only remember waking up the next morning with a mega headache. Breakfast with the family, happy to be there, me and my aspirin, my friend trying to survive the night and after a few coffees, orange juice and croissants, we decided to go outside for a refreshing walk … under the rain. Because it rained. A lot. They’re living on an island (let’s say there are many in Amsterdam), so we couldn’t go very far outside swimming. So after a while, we decided to take the street car and going in the center where we could enjoy the view from the sky lounge of the Mint hotel. Me drinking tea, my friend drinking sparkling water, we were chatting waiting the arrival of his wife, gone shopping. Shame it rained so much otherwise we would have enjoyed the roof terrace. Next time. After a strong coffee, we went for dinner, table was booked for 7:00 p.m. Another friend we used to work with in Barcelona, opened a restaurant in Amsterdam, called Fondue & Fondue. The concept is simple, not more than 3 starters and 3 types of fondue (meat, fish, cheese), every time served with vegetables and bread, and the dessert with ice cream, chocolate cake or of course chocolate fondue. In the end, you can order a specialty coffee. Good food, good wine, be prepared to spend some hours inside this non-touristy atmosphere because don’t forget, you’re your own cook ! When all guests gone and restaurant closed, we started our own evening enjoying the wine and the company, until 4 am when we decided to call the taxi, this time without glass in my hand, to go back home. A good night sleep and the same on the way back: airport, flight, Berlin, rain ….

No comments: