Tuesday, August 14, 2007

how a city is changing

When I first went to Berlin, there was still east and west Berlin. Friedrichshain was still very DDR and Mitte was a no man’s land. Later the “Wall” concert took place in Potsdamer Platz that today just grew from earth.
After a while Mitte became the place to be. Last time I went, not so long ago, I could already notice that a change was already on its way. The place to be is moving to the east. Before, Friedrichshain was the area where students could afford a rent because it was cheap and outside of the german people who never moved from there, you hardly met what we call in French a bobo, those “young, creative, wealthy” people who do not belong to the standards anymore and prefer to buy a big space in a low-key area to transform it by a famous interior architect than to invest in a bourgeois flat without personality. That’s what is happening now. You can see the corner of Simon-Dach Str, has completely changed and is on its way to be completely renovated. Design shops are already in the place and you can’t find a cheap rent anymore. Nevertheless the city keeps (at the moment) its personality and there are still temporary places to go. Temporary because it is made as a bar, restaurant, whatever, before it will be destroyed to build any new glass building with very high square meter price.
So here the latest one : because it is summer and we need sun and beach, go to Lunas Strandgarten. No phone number, no web site, only cash allowed. It’s on the corner of Revaler Str (Nr 34) and Modersohn Str., closed to S and U (train and metro station) Warschauer str. It’s a lounge cocktail bar, a place to eat barbecued sausages, to play beach volley, and to listen good music because of the selected DJ’s. Open 7 days a week from 11.00 to open end.
I remember that people used to say to me, “never go to Kreuzberg, it’s too dangerous there”, well I’ve been a lot of times, mostly to party, and I had a very good time. Last evening, because I wanted to have my entrecote charolaise, I use to go to La Crapule, previously in Mitte but the rent became too high so they moved to this trendy area. The reputation of Kreuzberg is that it is the second biggest town of Turkey. It is another world but here is the alternative place. Well anyway it was warm enough to have dinner at the terrasse so have a try for the easy french food, Skalitzer Str. 68 (030-69565010).
Passing by on Dircksenstr. to take my coffee at caras , as usual, I noticed a new hotel, I should say Motel, Motel One . I didn’t try it but it looks with every comfort inside, polite people, and you can have your breakfast in the main room. For this area, the price is good. I like those big blue chairs, Cappellini style.
But if you’re in the city before 1st of October you must go to Bar25 . This I never saw before. It’s a big place : open air cinema, lounge cocktail bar, on the river restaurant, Hotel : you’ll rent a wood (small) house, and I think I didn’t see everything. I had a very good dinner, the evening was warm and sunny, the wine tasty and the service, nice. But again the closing date is final because it will be soon destroyed for a new thing to come. Enjoy.

No comments: