Thursday, September 25, 2008

Deutsche Welle

Like I said, It’s everywhere the same. Don’t expect It’s better on the other side. It’s just that the cliché makes it, that you expect in a land like Germany, with all those big pictures of natural ordering. Everything should be so tidy and you never get any issue with administration or providers. Wrong. It’s even worse than you think. If you were leaving here, you'd forget very quickly your clichés and you'd be very disapointed. My family and friends, do not believe stories that I tell. Only my colleagues here and even locals know what I am talking about. I asked beginning of august the transfer of my telephone line together with internet. The provider scheduled it and so at the very date the line was cut off at the old flat. What you have to know is that the German telecom company has the monopole of the connections in the country and if they don’t show up, you have no connection. So I lost it. 4 weeks and half. 5 appointments. Actually, they did show up. I was in the flat without the hands because of the work in the new flat. They had something to bring from their truck and they came back with a note, glued on my mail box, saying that because I was not there, telecom could not put me the line ! So you take a new day off (because they only come from 8:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m) and you wait the whole day in the flat. Same thing happened again. Starts the crisis time and the third appointment (one week after, new day off) I waited outside ! so they can’t tell I’m not there. Nobody came. “Lucky me”, the weather was good. I screamed on the phone to the provider but It does not help and because “customer service” is an unknown world and word in this country, the agent just hung up at my nose. Nevertheless, after some other phone calls, another agent asked me to do a test because I was connected. Of course I am connected from their side but I can’t use the system because the connection is not made. So I have another appointment but this time next day afternoon from 1:00 p.m to 5:00 p.m. because I stayed outside too long waiting for them to come I was sick, went to the doctor and waited again outside at the front door and again nobody showed up. Reaching the limit I called a last time just to say in a very dry and angry (but calm) way that It was enough. The agent answered he will call me back as soon as he will get the feed back from the telecom. Guess what ? 20 minutes later the ring belled and the technician was there and made the connection. I’m writing you from my computer, in my home. This is the way It goes here. So I am newly connected to the world, after a bit more than 4 weeks, 19 packs of cigs, 36 gums, 2 condoms (with lub), 1 angina, 1 headache, 1 picture in the local paper (but who is this attractive man waiting since 2 days outside in front of the door ?), 1 identity crisis at the internet provider company, 1 suicide by defenestration at Telecom, but I did well and I wanted to thank you all for your never ending support, I will remember, you were by my side when I needed it the most.

No comments: