Saturday, April 12, 2008

Health is money

The health system in Germany is something nobody understands. Even German themselves can't explain how it works and if it's worth or not. It's like the tax declaration. Even as a simple underpaid employee with no other income than your salary you need a tax adviser to help you fill your declaration. We start to misunderstand health and money. I agree a state needs a good health insurance system and I know that in France we are very lucky to have such a good system when other people have nothing. Nevertheless some complain because our government (actually any french government) tries to find a solution to the financial blackhole made by the health system. The last example is that the french ministry of health created a scale of franchise : everytime you go to the doctor, buy medicine or use sanitary transport a part of the expense is not reimbursed. You have to know that in France almost anything is money transparent, meaning that thanks to the health card in our possession it is rare you have to open your purse. The taxes on your payroll are very high but you can't blame the fact that it works pretty well. It is in the nature of the French to complain and to disagree about everything before accepting a debate and I agree that it costs are heavy, the population gets older and we like to have sex but not to have children so in the end there will not be any money at all for any health insurance. I accept the fact that to demonstrate for a good cause (and the security of being cured is an important one) but being hold of maximum 50€ (again per visit/buy medicine/transport, per year and cumulate each other) is not that bad. Because the french indirectly pay this amount some people who have strong life disease never have to pay anything. And anyone in the country has access to this system. The French should have a quick look at my direction and I could tell them that on the other side of the Rhin it is definitely another story and I am pretty sure, even if they would carry on to argue (but just for the purpose of it) they will accept the fact they're lucky. Here you don't have one but two systems and it is also with two levels of health security and cares. And you pay everything yourself (a part is taken by the company you work for and it is mandatory and nobody helps you to choose your insurance) and every quarter you have to pay a franchise to be able to carry on receiving cares. I disagree with the fact that a doctor in front of me, the patient but soon the customer, complains because the product I use (and prescribed by his colleague) is too expensive. I answered peacefully that I deeply regret that the german health system is focusing on the money and not on the cares to the people and if i use this medicine it's maybe because it cures me. German does not like to argue because they think that everything they say is law, impose themselves everywhere they go and do not even imagine there could be another point of view. So when this little Froggy is there it makes the appointment much shorter (which i was happy with, this man is so unfriendly). I can't wait to try the dentist : I made an appointment for next week and the secreatry asked me which amount I was ready to pay !!!!!??????? The more you pay, more time you can spend on the chair and receive more cares. The story never says if my teeth will receive the cares they deserve. So if i understand correctly when in France the system is sinking, in Germany if you can't pay you receive no health cares but the insurance is mandatory, what is wrong with the picture ? Sometimes i can't help thinking of The bionic woman and ask myself who would pay for the surgery if for any reason it was requested. No question the law will interfere. Anyway I am a big fan of this 70's serie (sorry not the new one) which has a little plus. Maybe because it was the fact to receive extraordinary capacities in an ordinary human body with an ordinary life. Everyone at school wanted to have a sky diving accident thinking that maybe Oscar will come and give you those bionics elements. I thought it was lost forever and i would not be able to view this serie again. I had a little nostalgia for years until the other day when I had the big surprise to find season 1 & 2 in a very good quality (technics improved). Making quick research on internet I noticed the web site of the The bionic woman and so i could trace the complete story. As usual you think that you are alone in the world having liked something and then you notice millions on earth share the same. I enjoy the noise when the bionics is used. I like the (today it seems bad, our eye is trained) special effects, i like the stories which surf on the events of the world (cold war, supernatural events, out of space species ...), it is like a review of what happened in the news at this time and whatever happens someone will be there to help us. So it is with great pleasure that I am back now in those days thinking that I am a young boy watching TV at my parents' house on wednesday afternoon. There is a "no disturb" sign on the front door.

No comments: