Thursday, July 26, 2007

it's not only the weather's fault

no no no,
it is true. we hear all over the world that the climate these years is responsible for everything. Look at the winter we had. I expected a little snow to ski ... nada. The resort had to use the snow guns. Look at the summer we have. I went to the beach for the first time 2 weeks ago when I remember to start mid-may few years ago...
But sometimes when you look at the news I still wondering why Le tour de France (worldwide famous bicycle thing, well at least it changes from football in the sport pages) takes so much space when some other things are really happening. When I started to work at Worldwide Company, it was like a laboratory. The department was new, we had to test and improve everything, we were a multi-tasks multi-languages team. I don't say it was fun (but it was ...) but we had the feeling to be interested with the tasks. Because it is a 24 hours department, I remember while working at night I didn't have the time to finish all work requested. But following the years it changed, slowly but surely. Not so many people noticed because the department grew and grew. Now it's a big place with tenth of people coming from different places in the world and it is very rich in its basic relationships. But the work is gone, meaning we only act like machines, we answer the phone and know already the answer, we have no surprises anymore, the trainees look at us as we are some genious when 3 months later they already want to leave (and I don't blame them). I believed as well. Now I don't anymore. Even worse, I'm bored. I always dreamt of a job I could keep interest with. Not a job with responsabilities and money (it's another story to come) but one you enjoy going sometimes with its issues and where you're happy to share your knowledge. First, frankly said I never met anyone interested enough to get involved. It's something I learned. The leisure society makes it that you only come to work to have free time and to enjoy it. We frequently check the flights on internet. Second the work is gone far East. When here it was valuable few years ago to speak foreign languages, it is not requested anymore. Why ? because our new neighbours started to learn as well and now they can speak other languages that theirs or english. The job is going there. A proof ? I have more than one. I used to work with people in other worldwide companies. They anounced me one day that their department is closed because moved to East Europe or Asia. They have the choice. Having the possibility to move as well (temporary contract of course, dn't ask what you do with the family and all of this re-organization) or to be fired. I've been contacted as well for a one year contract based in Delhi to start in a new department with new employees. Once the local new ones will be trained, I have to pack my bags and go ... where ? home ? I would have no home anymore. Leaving for India in my case is not something you do for fun. And it's not even for the money (it is specified in the add !). During industrial times machines started to "replace" human : it was faster, cheaper, and in the case of french citizens, machine doesn't go on strike. Now it seems for the same reasons that sooner or later my company will close because it will move anywhere. It already started. 2 departments have been closed already. Do you feel the wind changing ? A storm is coming ...

No comments: