Friday, July 13, 2007

who do you think you are ?

I was looking at a catalan father with his baby daughter at the pool while relaxing. The father seems to be happy teaching his baby that nothing is wrong with the water. But the mother arrives. And of course she takes care of everything, takes the baby in her arms, and goes away in the water line. Suddenly father can’t tell nor do anything. That’s how it goes. Strangely it is not the first time I’m the witness of that kind of scene. I understand why catalan people are so difficult to approach. I think for them we are too free, wild, without any education whatsoever because we don’t have this particular more than strong relationship with our family. I would not say that. It’s just that my relationship with my family is different. But you know … difference is rarely accepted.
Anyway if you’re around Barcelona beginning of August, try to reach the airport and have a look in the waiting room. I made the test while waiting for my flight last year. I was with a friend who leaves here since years and he knows more than I do. You’ll notice the whole family all together going on holidays. But I mean it : the family (parents and children, grandparents, uncles, ….). My friend instructed me that they leave together, do everything together, share together. Now I understand why in winter, on Saturday night, you’ll notice cars parked along the way with young couples inside learning things of love between the wheel and the gear. In summer it’s easier, they can stay outside but it’s the same.
Pressure (because from my point of view it is pressure) of education, religion, family, fear of being judged … is still really strong here. Where from the outside Spain is showed as a very advanced country compared even to France for example and its history of revolutionary people, inside it’s opposite. Young people meet in the parks to get drunk just to go out of the house but too poor to really go out. I agree life in the city is expensive and money is low. But I remember seeing a work colleague in a disco the other night and wave hello just because but he turned his head. It happened many times and not always with the same people. Afraid of being recognised, not to be seen at the right place. Even the guy in front of me at the sport club do not hold the door in front of me. Is this normal ? Am I too touchy maybe. My parents told me it’s worth holding the door to the one behind you. You deserve a thank you. Maybe the start of a new adventure. But no. I reported this to Spanish people, including catalan. They all agreed. They know the fact but would not change. They believe they’re right (why shouldn’t they be ?) and they rule the world. The fact is outside of their place, nobody cares (even inside …). At a dinner we made the approach from History and one pointed out that we should not forget it’s not that far that Spain was under the power of Franco. We easily forget that this country is a democracy only since 1973 (if I’m not wrong). But where cities like Madrid created la movida, catalan people stayed in their so called supremacy because it is the richest county of the country (industry is powerful here). And it’s not because I have a big spot on my nose that I don’t succeed to create local contacts. It was approved by other fellows of mine (foreigners who want to stay here for a while). This explains probably why the turnover of people here is so important. I even notice it at work. After , let's say, 7 months, people go away because they don’t feel comfortable here enough to establish themselves. Which is exactly contrary of the idea of tourists who think it’s a wonderful city. Indeed ! but tourists only stay for the week-end and then return. We stay. Well, anyway, it’s back to sun so let’s have tapas at the terrasse
.

No comments: