Tuesday, December 4, 2007

It's a matter of time

I think that with the time we've become typing machines. You will notice how we work today. most of the hard workers disapeared. Of course they are always people pushing wagons deep in the mine but in our "civilized" rich countries you have more chances to see someone with polished nails than with rough hands (and I'm not speaking of women)... even a friend of mine makes his toe nails done ! (and it's a girl who told me that). And studies done say that the human body is changing as well. Of course human race keeps on evoluating, meaning that our genre is becoming more and more androgynous : men and women all together tall and slim wearing interchangeable Jil Sander suits. We're not that far from the science fiction series we watched on TV at a younger age while not going to school. When the generation of my parents look like typical macho father who takes care of the garage and submissive mother who cooks and clean the house I would say we are the generation who had to try everything to find its own way and be emancipated. Of course we paid the price (no real situation because do not know where we are, feeling cruicified and rebuilt, lost in your own life with no guidance or landmark, with difficulties of getting older and old, no stability ...) but our children are more than independent, it's a success. I don't know if it's for their own good to be lost in la pampa without education because my generation is too busy trying to make its own but at least they're not afraid in/of the dark.
Coming back to my typing machine type, look at the way we spend our days. Most of the time seating in a comfy chair at our desk waiting for our secretary (sorry personal assistant now) to bring the morning expresso (no darling, black and no sugar I had a rough night and I'm on a diet yeah leave the file there I'll have a look later and don't forget to shut the door when you leave thank you) and to organize meetings at your desk it's more convenient. You type all day reports, mails, sms on your mobile, you don't communicate with words or body language anymore and the strongest parts of your body are your fingers.
It's a bit of the same in private. How many sms per day do you send or receive (not including week-ends) ? I had two recent experiences that made me think about it. This guy smiling at me in the bar I thought "oh a Human !" so I started to have conversation and his first words were to ask me if I had a profile on internet ! Do I have to understand he wants to check my details before asking me my first name ? Last saturday at the Moebel Olfe party (by the way top of the list) while having my (biiiiiiippppp !!!) glass of wine this guy (gorgeous I admit) stood next to me without saying a word for a (long) time. Please people talk to me, I don't bite (well not straight away), or smile at least !
So because you typed all day at work what is the first thing you do back home ? switch on the computer of course because you need to check your mails, it makes you feel wanted. I understand the success of all those Myspace and Facebook or why you find so many voyeurs and exhibitionists on the net. Then you type again to friends, family and a little time surfing on internet to cruise. We stay alone in our room thinking that making the market helped by megabites it will simplify communication. And even if you'd find someone matching your criterias I'm sure you'd be too afraid to even make a start. And how do you it want today, Sir ?
And what am doing right now ?....

No comments: