Sunday, December 30, 2007

Poulette

Good food gives you good mood. Whenever I feel bad/in a bad mood/miserable/sober/stucked in an elevator with crap music/in the train stopped in the middle of the landscape for hours/whatever ... I need good food. This sounds easy to realize but unfortunatly knowing the culinary habits of the German it becomes a quest to find 1) good fresh products (a market ? anywhere ? fish ? what is it ?) 2) a restaurant where you have pleasure to go because the food/wine/service/price/people is what you expect. So because I am a wanderer, everytime I notice an interesting place I keep it for a while and when the need comes I put my coat on and go. There is a free table ? good, it's a good sign, you were expecting me anytime. Yesterday was the occasion to put on the test Poulette . Of course it sounds french (what did you expect ?) because I needed fresh bloody meat and good wine, because you have to know that in the city, outside of heavy Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon (at the most), don't expect to drink anything else in a bar. It's a place I wanted to try because it looks like my parisian brasseries which are my fav and you don't need to wear a tuxedo to enter the place. Also it's near my place and in winter you don't want to spend your evening in a journey. So all ingredients were there to make a good time. And I had. I feel the urge sometimes to have bloody cooked meat in my plate and I could sense it on my lips entering the restaurant. Everything went well, even the waiter speaks french ! We had a little "mise en bouche" to test the wine then french speciality duck livers and then my entrecôte was just delicious (this time not with fries but crispy vegetables). No place left unfortunatly for the dessert though the crème brûlée smelled so good especially when the waiter burns the cassonade under your noise (whaaaaaaaa it's like home !) and the wine bottle (my good Saint Nicolas de Bourgueil) was empty so a good strong express and bring the addition. Ok I admit it's a bit expensive compared with the prices of the city but in this holidays winter Christmas New Year's eve time, it's allowed. And because it was a french night I had to try some other places and a little walk will help the digestion. Poulette is near Kollwitz Platz. We stayed in Prenzlauer Berg and went on the other side of Schönhauser Allee. Near Zionskirche there is a place called Visite ma tente (please come in my refuge, Christinenstraße 24). It's a wine bar but of course you can ask whatever you wish to drink. If you're still hungry you can ask some small plates of ham/cheese. After a while it became very crowdy so it's a good sign, noisy, smoky, french music but soon after a couple of glasses it became obvious that I needed to sleep. Je tombe

No comments: