Friday, January 18, 2008

I don't complain, I just explain

I don't really talk about work, not really interesting. But we had a very special week after months of hard work. It's also to give an idea of the gap between both french and german cultures although we are so near. European Community has this wish to make live together so many different populations that I understand why it looks such a mess from outside, nevertheless very strong. But in a way it works. And if I take my near small world I guess it's not easy everyday. When a special event is about to happen you wish to be moraly (at least) supported. Special attention is required and you appreciate that your management comes to say to your team "ok guys, good luck, you've been working hard, we're with you, go for it", or comes in the first day in fire to ask if everything is fine or organizes a french breakfast with croissants just to show affection. That's what expected the team. We spoke about it today. N-o-t-h-i-n-g ! we had nothing. As a french you pay a lot of attention to those details. Not to gain anything, just because, as a matter of respect. It's like all you do is just accepted as normal and the society deserves it regardless the human factor. It's useless. We are still no machines and our facts and figures are ruled because we like what we do. Everytime I look at my team I'm happy to see that we communicate a lot, it's the basis of our good understanding. Trainees, employees, management, all together. Everyone shares and is free to bring any information he thinks for the better. I understand more about the french revolution from 1789 and the meaning of the word. The French does not do the revolution to complain though it is the basis of it but to bring new ideas and to defend them and most of all to bring them to life. The German fights. When I look at the german team it is opposite from us : never shares, keep everything for him(her)self, no friendship, no afterwork apéritif, do things without noticing your colleagues and your bad luck if you missed it (why should I inform you, what does it bring to me ?). And they never stop complaining ... and never act by themselves. There is always someone higher who can take the decision so they have no responsability (ahh ! sorry no, not my mistake, I've been told to do so, did you see the kitchen again ? no one emptied the dishwasher ! but Baby, don't you use the dishes yourself ?) No one believes me from abroad because this country has such an image, and they keep it that way, it's called marketing darlin', that revealing something disturbing for them is puting yourself in isolation tank for ever. They don't work good because they want or like it, they work good because they don't like remarks. We even provoke (well we tried) organizing the breakfast ourselves inviting everyone. Nobody showed up. In the end the team is disapointed and it is sad. But we manage because we know they're like that. They take everything for granted and do not think another way (what are you talking about ?). They ask us to comply ourselves with their behaviour (workwise of course, outside they're happy to find french places to have good food, good wine or good conversations) but this one time only we expected them to understand us, just ... Give me one reason why that did not happen.

No comments: