Monday, January 21, 2008

La sombra del viento


I don't read a lot. It's true. Not that I don't want to but the choice of a book is by itself difficult. And only the idea of being disapointed makes it harder. At the store there are so many on the shelves that I am tired to read every résumé. Lucky me I have friends and most of the time I read what they suggest me or even offer me for Christmas, Birthday or just because.
I don't read a lot. It's true. Because when I am ready and want to read it's when I am coooollllll in the warmth of my bed, that everything is finally quiet and I am ready to ... fall asleep which I do after 5 minutes reading. Not that I am not interested but just too tired.
But it happens sometimes also that I just can't get enough of the book. Even when my eyes are closing for sleep and I sometimes find my book anywhere in my bed and the light still on after a few hours sleep I just want to know what will come next page.
This happened with the wonderful story of Carloz Ruiz Zafon "La sombra del viento" (Thanks A!). I read it in french so that would be "L'ombre du vent" (thank you to the translators who did not invent another name) and in english logicaly "The shadow of the wind".
I'll make it short : The story starts during civil war in Barcelona. That's maybe also why I was interested with the book because I could easily picture where the actions take place, it makes everything much more "live".
A young boy is taken by his father, who has a book store, in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a secret place, known only by few. The boy is allowed to take one book from this place and it will be the book of his life time. He has to protect it. Thrilled by reading it the boy looks for other books of the author and it is the start of a life of adventures, discoveries, danger, love all this implicated in the history of the city and the Franco dictatorship because a devil is also seeking every copy of every book of the author to burn them.
It is a fascinating story. It's never boring. You're moved and your heart feels the joy and pain of the boy, the young man and the man. You feel this so real that you only wish this character will have success in his quest.
This book, I read. Vamos Muchachos !

No comments: