Sunday, January 20, 2008

Naked Boys Singing



I’m not a big fan of musicals. Outside the classics I saw on TV as a kid like « Mary Poppins » or « the sound of music » I was once at « Cabaret » at the theatre. Naked Boys Singing has something particular : They’re naked (yes they are). Nudity in this show is the main subject and the costume. It means that you forget about it because it’s not related to sex. In a way this musical is very tender. Unlike movies which try to show you a moment of a life time either tragically or funny this musical plays scenes of different stages of a gay life. The guys can sing and you focus most of the time of the story they’re singing so again a way not to watch their penis. Because it’s the only thing you are interested. Of course they are all young and beautiful according to the gay standards. But they do it with pleasure. We feel that they enjoy to do this work and more important It’s a team work and that they support each other. I can imagine playing in front of the public naked is something anyone could not do even as an artist. Critics say it’s good. I trust them although I don’t really make my idea with them. Only sometimes on this movie version I am not sure the public is a real one. Or again It’s very american this behaviour of over reacting (too many smiles, too many cries, standing ovation …). And I just regret the lights and special effects that we really don’t need… and they are too many. Your eye sometimes does not even have time to catch the action. Because the guys are the show so we don’t need any other effects. Mayyyybeeee a bit too « religious » for me because they sing about the jew history but I know that for Americans it’s included in their every day life when for French religion is definitly something we’ll hardly show neither talk about.

No comments: