Saturday, January 5, 2008

Sin city

Sometimes I wonder why the city is so famous. It's freezing cold here, the city has nothing special compared to some other cultural destinations, locals are not that friendly (though they tend to get better and never forget you are in a country previously rules by the Stasi ) but questioning my friends why I can here every possible language on the street they just answered because it's party time 24/7. And it makes sense. Escaping from a party at 6.00 in the morning I remembered people queueing outside to come in. I heard this argument once at the terrace of a bar between foreigners "adapting" themselves to the rythm of the city and an old german man walking the dog about saying something here that it is Sin of the city. Nevertheless you will notice after a while that despite everything you'll hear it's everywhere the same except that in Berlin you can party anytime following your rythm and most of all with your own taste because you're sure to find a place matching your taste. But that means also that you'll be back at the same place at the same time. You will notice soon that if there is a success party it will last forever ... or disapear without notice. I re-discover with pleasure that Chantal house of shame still exists after all those years. Following the new building plan of the city it changed location I don't know how many times but Chantal finds always nice locations (and this last one I don't complain at all because it's round my corner) and the party people follows. Those ones do not change much neither except we all grew older but I am pleased to notice in the crowd faces I know. It gives a taste of timeless (if there are no mirrors around of course) but the project never changed. The party does not start too late, there is a show (last thursday was Herr Frau & die Glitterbomben) music is ok and the wine is fresh and tasty compared to some other places I tried. It's also a good training for the forthcoming week-end. Tonight at Kaffee Burger (if you want to meet Russians it is the right place) we will start with an icelandic group Bardukha to warm up maybe with a bit of vodka of course and then carrying on with Club 103 again in Kreuzberg where we will join the "Lez is more" french party. As a good French I will not forget that tomorrow is also 3 Kings' day so I'd better hurry to find where I can buy my galette des rois.

No comments: