Monday, May 12, 2008

Exotic

Last evening I was invited at a birthday party to a friend's place. Usually it's not the event you really enjoy going because you feel obliged to stay even when it did not even start or nothing around is interesting. But I gave my word, I had a difficult appointment a few hours ago and I knew I would enjoy the ride because it is a bit far from my place. I know some people as well so I would not be completely lost so I went. After the P.R. things, a glass of wine in my hand and a cig in the other one (smoke free inside the flat of course but I told already outside is the next cruising area) I start to listen around. Again, because german is not my language I have to accomodate my ear to the new sounds and the way people speak otherwise I won't be able to talk with them afterwards. I've been told It looks like that I just want to stay alone in my corner but not at all, It's just that I need to practice. Mostly guys are there and my second glass emptied I need a refull. Because some heard me talking when I went back to the balcony some of them started with the questions. It seems mandatory for the people to put in categories (where you born, where do you live, what do you do ...) when I never ask those questions. But I guess It's because for them I am still exotic (what the hell am I coming to make a living in Berlin ?). They all feel like my accent is "charmant" (in french in the text) and after all this chit-chat they started with the real questions between the french-german relationship. When president of France meets Prime of Germany and say that he loves her, nobody believes a word. But if I say that in Berlin I still meet people full of resentment against me nobody wants to believe it because they say their city is the city of freedom (I heard as well it is sin city!). But on return they can't help themselves affirming that from my side of the country French don't like German. Well if you take it this way, we don't like English neither. And nobody likes anybody. It is again this way German have not to accept they can be wrong and make you feel guilty. It's one of their strongest behaviour. Not one of them will say the contrary, try to understand my difficulties or at least give me the benefice of the doubt. But they also confirm that the other way round is very very complicated when they come to France. The difference is that I try to understand the situation, accept it and put it at my advantage when they think all is theirs. Start by learning the language, Daaarling, that helps. Outside of that I almost spent my time on the balcony. Some started to leave because there was some nice parties downtown because of the long week-end (today is bank holiday) and I soon finished my drink. Conversations are nice but when I see a a guy (whose 20 years' boyfriend just left) starting sniffing my ass, It's time to go away and have a nice last glass anywhere at the terrace.

No comments: