Saturday, March 22, 2008

Chez Maurice

I didn't really had the time to ask why this french restaurant is called Chez Maurice but I guess It is obviously because It sounds very french. Though the owner is very german (not a word with me in french, with complete opposition with his waitress but I remembered too late I was still in Berlin) this is a place with french food and wine. We shared the entrée and when I expected a plate of charcuterie we had a mix of grilled things looking like vegetables. The 2 things recognizable were the boudin and the paté, maybe the fromage de chèvre rolled in bacon. Not really my fav but OK. We had meat for main course because I like bloody meat simply cooked and It was served with vegetables. No dessert because full up but all this went down with a Bourgogne 2004, a bit fresh but while tasting it and mentioning it the owner answered "It goes with the Bourgogne, No ?", OK, sorry, my mistake, oups, I'll shut my mouth next time, I guess we won't be friends but I would rather drink the Chassagne Montrachet but not at your wine card price, daaaaaarling. It's just that tasting the wine is OK, tasting it too cold is no taste. Well they offered us a glass of Calvados in the end and It wasn't that bad idea because when we had the bill we definitely needed to be drunk (we were not but It would have been better). It's too expensive for what we had. The area is nice, the clientele as well, the restaurant with all the wine shelves makes Its good impression but I would rather go back to Poulette where It is less expensive, walking distance from my place and food and service in adequation. Last night I found a bit too posh for my taste, lucky me the conversation was good. The way back on the bike was a bit difficult. Since days It's a mix of snow and rain and cold and the bars and restaurants were almost empty at 1.00 a.m. so It shows they are all back to families to pick up chocolate eggs.

No comments: