Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tales of the city


Since the day I discovered it I've always been a fan of the Tales written by Armistead Maupin. It is very 70's and I guess writing these books was like writing a blog today, meaning that when you read it you get the feeling that you are very near the people and you could share their everyday's life. I've been many times in San Francisco and always enjoyed the city. I felt like home and if I would have had the opportunity I think I would have considered it as an option. It is true as well that american life style is different from mine. I always deeply regret that Americans in their relationships are too superficial. I guess when you are on this side of the ocean you have to prove all the time you are able to communicate and you are evaluated by the thickness of your address book. But the bad point is (and It is true story), I remember once I've been asked the usual questions : what's your job, what's your company, what's your project, how much are you paid, ... you know those questions a European will NEVER ask, if I was not interesting enough for a future "use" I was not invited at the second turn. It happened in New York, It happened in Los Angeles, It did not happen in San Francisco because I quickly made acquaintances who helped me to be "introduced" so I did not need a visit card. I was not ashamed to go out alone neither because the good side of the american behaviour is that you never stay alone a long time (I think they are too scared of the non-conformism). Anyway, back to the Tales I could not help myself carrying on reading because I wanted to know what would happen next. This has nothing to do but (once I've found something I like I am becoming an addict) I played once a long time ago Playstation and the game Tomb Raider and played for days and nights without stop and when I was a boy It happened the same with the Marvel's X-men stories because in France we had to wait 3 months for the next issue. Since I started the first time to read the Tales (It was in english because It was not translated yet) It was a revelation and I could not help talking about it at every dinner I intended to go. All of my friends suddenly discovered the books as well and had the same feeling about it so I can say the author made it universal. Then after years I think I must have read the Tales 2 or 3 times either in french or english. Then I discovered that there was a serie on TV. Though I spontaneously liked the first episodes I was kind of disapointed with the change of the actors. I never found an explanation to it but I guess It must be a production matter. When you start with a serie you identify yourself with one of the characters and if the actor changes you don't identify yourself anymore and I think the actors of the first episodes matched perfectly with the personalities you discovered in the books. The actors who carried on with the serie of course did a very good job but the feeling was not there anymore. It was like a part of the story was gone. It's like discovering San Francisco for the first time. As a gay man the first thing you want to do is not taking the tram to reach the piers, It is to visit Castro because there was there a revolutionary move and some kind of freedom you'd never find anywhere else in the world. So of course as a French "Revolution" sounds good to us. As a gay being able to leave freely and openly your sexualty (I will never talk about difference because there is none, all is exceptions) was a revelation. So of course now all tends to be standardized and once you arrived in Castro you have the feeling you missed a part of the history. They are all older than expected and look like a caricature of themselves, of course they all grew older and me with them. It's everywhere the same you make yourself an image you want to recreate once in the place but It never happens. Except in Paris : I just read an article in the paper and the feeling tourists have of the city is exactly what is real life : Paris is much appreciated by the tourists and has the first place of the european cities for food (this is an easy one), shopping and romantism (yeah yeah yeah, try to drive a car at La Concorde a thursday at 7.00 p.m. when it rains you get the feeling of parisian romantism) but Paris is definitely out for Its welcoming (not surprising at all), Its costs (I think the second most expensive european city after London) and Its cleanliness (you have to know that Parisians make poo their dog on the sidewalk and NOT on the street so I would suggest to always have a look on your shoes and not on the beautiful monuments). Another point of the survey says that after Rome It is in Paris that we find the most beautiful people. Of course I never doubt about it but I always say as well that beautiful feathers make beautiful birds. Again back to the Tales (I'll never finish this one or what ?) I never found any reason why the Tv show did not carry on with the other books. When you see bad series presenting season 6 why a good story can't go after the second one ? Well damage is not repaired but something not yet done with the Tales is a Musical. It's about to be done : "The Scissor Sisters are to write the songs for a stage musical version of Armistead Maupin's chronicle of life in 1970s San Francisco, "Tales of the City". Frontman Jake Shears and touring band member John Garden, son of Goodie Graeme Garden, will write the tunes, with the show set to open in 2009. It is being produced on Broadway by the team behind the award-winning puppetry musical "Avenue Q". "Tales of the City" was voted Britain's favourite gay novel in a 2006 poll. The story focuses on Mary Ann Singleton, a prudish young woman from the Midwest who moves to San Francisco and meets an unusual collection of colourful characters while living at 28 Barbary Lane. It started life as a daily serial in the San Francisco Chronicle before being collected into a novel in 1978. 5 more books followed. The novels have sold millions of copies worldwide, and were turned into a TV mini-series in the 1990s. The plot of the musical is expected to concentrate on the first book and the complicated love lives of its 12 characters - including transsexual landlady Anna Madrigal and gay gardener Michael "Mouse" Tolliver. It is being written by Jeff Whitty, who won a Tony award for best book of a musical for "Avenue Q" in 2004." It will take years before It will be shown in Europe and furthermore in my area (and I am so afraid It will be translated in german, can you imagine ?) but nevertheless can't wait to read the critics. I just wish It will be the same as reading the Tales, always enjoying.

No comments: