Sunday, March 9, 2008

The right to strike, the right to fight !

In Berlin starting tomorrow Monday will start a new experience for its inhabitants. I know the concept is very french (I heard people at the bar mentioning it, true, as if my country was spreading the bad habit) and my country is very famous for that, and for tourists who experienced this unbelievable behaviour (sometimes not even made with sense) : strike. When you live in Paris you never know if the morning you will get a train, a metro or a bus. It's russian roulette everyday. And if there is no strike, there is a big chance you have to let go 2 or 3 machines before you get the opportunity to get in. And I don't speak when you have to make connections. But nevertheless I still believe the system in Paris is one of the best as well one of the simpliest to use... when you can. Because when the employees decide to go on strike (always the same reason everywhere : money and better work conditions : hearing this, you heard everything), the city is paralysed. It's funny that we speak of national strike, called by labours but because in France everything is centralised I guess the percentage of people suffering from the non-existence of transports must be the highest. Because when Paris is on strike, nothing works and because Paris is definitely not a city adapted for cars It's on an everyday basis a nightmare to drive and park but without transports, my advice : stay home. I remember the year 1995 (Winter of course, and one of the coldest, because in Summer you can't strike : It's holiday time !) when the country was paralysed. I sold the car and bought a motorbike. But I can understand. I don't appreciate at all to feel like a hostage not being able to move in my own city but let's remember that for this right people had to fight and I respect that. It's just sometimes I've got the feeling, some exagerate using it. I never heard any strike in Barcelona and in Berlin because there is two systems of public transports, if one goes on strike, you still can use the other one. But as of tomorrow I can't wait seeing how it will go because as far as I know they hardly experienced a general strike. No choice because nothing. And suddenly Germans have to think by themselves, take decisions on their own and find solutions without help, and of course saying loud that It is a scandal. I can't even explain how funny It was for me to be at work last Friday watching my colleagues desperatly seeking help. Even the company had to remind its nice employees that no missing will be tolerated because of this event ... because It is one. I thought this week-end maybe I should organize some incentive trainings in Paris just to show them what It can be. Because frankly said, here, no need to stress. And I don't care. I have my bike.

No comments: