Monday, February 11, 2008

Classical

Last evening was a concert at the Philarmonie . The program was short but let's say, intense. First play was the second quartett for violin, viola, violoncello and a Sopranist, op. 10 of Arnold Schönberg. I am not a big fan and at the break as usual I stay on the first floor to have a look at the people walking and drinking on the groundfloor, I love it, especially when some of them notice that they are being watched, by me. I was expecting much more of the second part from Anton Bruckner Mess for Choir and orchester WAB 27, released from 1882. The Rundfunkchor Berlin was pleasure again. The last emotion with it was at the Berliner Weihnachtskonzert and now with this piece you just can't fall asleep as sometimes it happens at the concert hall while listening to classical music. Even the orchester was small. I noticed normally the voice tries to cover the music but last evening the music was desperatly trying to be heard but the choir is too strong and the quality of the voices is amazing. I could even sometimes hear voices in particular and it makes a special effect I never had before. And don't imagine the strongest man has the strongest bass voice. Yesterday the strongest man has the highest voice. Yesterday took place the Grammy and the winner is :
"Best Choral Performance (Award to the Choral Conductor, and to the Orchestra Conductor if an Orchestra is on the recording, and to the Choral Director or Chorus Master if applicable.)
Brahms Ein deutsches Requiem, Simon Rattle, conductor; Simon Halsey, chorus master (Thomas Quasthoff & Dorothea Röschmann;
Rundfunkchor Berlin; Berliner Philharmoniker)[EMI Classics]"
It can be proud of the price and I guess they are celebrating at this very moment.
After the concert walking back to take my bus I noticed flashes at the nearby Berliner Palast where the main shows take place while there is the Berlinale . So don't ask me who was there, I'm always amazed how people can scream to an actor to sign autographs, I just don't get it but it's fun being there and watch the crowd and the flashes of the cameras hung to photographers' neck trying to take picture of the movie star. I'm wrong : I recognize Willem Dafoe.

No comments: